Caged

 

Again I sit alone with myself, 

Me and my shadows beneath the dim light-

face to face, 

The terror of being alone begins again. 

But, when was the last time I wasn’t?! 

These empty rooms speak volume of that! 

Perhaps, I took association too seriously too close to my heart, 

But, the hearts of people- they are always closed as if enclosed envelops they hand over until the messages are delivered- the letters read over. 

But, individuals always take companionship for convenience, but never for permanence.

Is it too hard to find your tribe?!

Is it too hard to belong?!

To belong to a person?! To a commune?!

The empty chair is still speaking volume. 

I sit here under the dim light,

Me alone with my unreconciled shadows. 

I refute them to reckon the unravelled....! 

My shadows speak loudly,

All these crowds and people in shrouds imitating kindness.... But, at the end of the day they are full of themselves thinking only about themselves. 

All the sounds feels nostalgia, 

All the crowd crowned for nothing, 

Everything so insignificant. 

The chairs were once multiplied, 

But now it ended being single all over again.

We never know when the crowd stops the circus, 

Stop applauding. 

I thought people make room for each other in a new place, but, it is acute isolation that we carry within our souls that seeks only benefits.

What benign benefit it brings to a person till united we subtly calculate,

Companionship is alive until it harvest profits.

Oh, the individualistic society! 

The clowns are all crowned, 

And, the circus goes on... 

The neon light above me is bright

But, the room awfully feels dim, 

The shadows keeps crawling back, 

Larger than my sight,

They walk with me. 

Beside me.

Behind me.

Covering my face,

Crawling back to the front.

The horrors of silence keep turning back to me,

I silently weep. 

I mourn for a house never built, 

For a companion who never stayed, 

For the chirping of the birds that were never mine! 

Sometimes I feel like I am the bird caged in my own dreams. 

Shackled in an untouchable dream,

A dream that I never could reach, 

Everytime I try to reach to her, it flies away to another destination and I keep moving. 

So, again I sit here alone with myself face to face,

Learning the difficult lesson of not expecting everyone to carry what I carry. 

I carry the burden of deep understanding. 

And, I don't want others to suffer the curse of depth like me.

The empty chair reminds me some seats are meant to remain empty, 

Some standing tall alone singly, 

Until someone appears who comes to show the difference of being around you for convenience and being actually there for you. 


©® Farheen Akter Bhuian (Nancy)

Timeframe: 12.30 pm, Lubbock, Texas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

শিল্পীর মৃত্যু

Divine Prayer

Ache in my body